Thursday, July 20, 2006

Which Came First? The Solid or the Void?

...and the other short story...why did the solid cross the road? Sorry I digress.

So you're making a family and you made this solid and then you made this void and Revit cut away the solid just fine. Now you make a new solid and the void acts like it doesn't know it is there even though they intersect. Voids only automatically cut solids that came before, not those that followed. So...when a void doesn't cut a solid because of the order you created them, just use Tools > Cut Geometry and tell Revit to cut em!Worth mentioning, if you create a void and it doesn't intersect with the geometry of the earlier solid(s) when you finish the sketch, when you drag the void so it does intersect with the solid, it won't cut automatically either. Even if the solid was made earlier than the void. So again, Tools > Cut Geometry to the rescue.aaah...all better now...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Spooking, I was having this same problem last night when try to create parametric families & using ref.lines to drive the void thro. the solid. Its all clear to me now. Cheers Steve.

Blue Jay said...

Thanks for the tip! This one has bugged me for a while.

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I actually ran into somewhat of a related issue today. Is it possible to create a void as a Generic Family and then import it into another family? I tried this with a solid extrusion and Cut Geometry doesn't seem to address the issue. But if I build it in place - no problem. It seems voids have to be built in-place, is that right or is there a work-around?

TIA...

Steve said...

Yes it is if you create a generic face based family first using the void, tell Revit to cut the host. Then nest that in another generic model family. Place it on the face of a solid in the host family and it should cut the solid.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I also faced same kind of problem but figured out how to do it. Once you would like to cut a solid that you have already made first select the solid geometry and in th eoptions menu click on edit then create a void, when you click finish sketch it will cut the solid. Hope this will help solve the proble.

Mohamed

Woojin Kim said...

thank you for this article.

I translated this article in Korean at http://www.rugi.co.kr/viewtopic.php?t=464

gaby said...

Hi there Guys! I am new to this Forum but I think your comments are great for all of us. I am having problems modifying wall sweeps. I hope you could help me on this one.
I place my wall sweeps from a profile I made and it shows just fine but when I try to cut out some cubes off of it using Blend it tells me that "elements can't be copied because they will lose their References"
have you guys had any similar problems and a solution tha I could use?

thanks in advance...

Unknown said...

Gee I wish I had of come here a few hours ago that I will never get back. Revit OpEd. First stop! Cheers