Thursday, May 28, 2015

Revit 2016 Updates Redux

This morning I gave Autodesk Application Manager (AAM) another chance by removing it and installing it again. It reports a number of things requiring my attention; A360, Navisworks, Revit 2016 Extensions and AutoCAD OSNAP support. That's a bit more encouraging, it seems to be awake at least. In the past it just stopped caring about updates and didn't seem to find any despite Luke telling me otherwise on his blog.

The Revit Clinic has since provided a post with information regarding 2015 and 2016 updates.

I noticed that Revit 2016 now has Service Pack 1 installed. After a year of Release Updates we are now returning to language of old with Service Pack. Okay...

In a comment for yesterday's post Phillip asks why isn't there one update application that installs the necessary features based on what is installed...for each Revit version? Good question! They must be able to figure out what is installed and hopefully they know what is needed, better than me trying to figure it out from the information they aren't putting on the website at least.

Luke also followed up his previous posts with another regarding Revit 2016 Extensions (he's observed they are now being deployed via AAM), Space Naming Utility (now generically "version-less" wrapped up and delivered at Autodesk Exchange Apps). I'm still not sure where to expect to find Worksharing Monitor or the Collaboration for Revit (C4R) 2016.

After installing the 2015 update I find C4R is broken, it triggers the usual message that only a programmer's mother can love.

I'm glad that AAM seems to be working now but it is soooo slooooowwww installing updates. The Navis updates just report "installing" with no indication for the degree of progress while some of the others do. Consistent inconsistency. The updates for Navis and ReCap put fresh icons on my desktop where there were none. It's not hard to delete them but its rude to put something on the desktop that wasn't there prior to the update.

Grumpy but not as grumpy as yesterday...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Steve! Thank you for you active blogging. It is a big relief for a semipro Revit user like me to see that the big boys too encounter hard with the peculiarities of our beloved software. I myself try to think it as a game, it gives me the same exciting feeling that Voodoo Castle (VIC-20) did when I was a kid.

\:D/

Travis said...

Steve, what is the error message you are receiving with C4R? I have a person in my office who updated to UR8 and is having problems as well.

Steve said...

The error is not happening now. I ran the update again and Revit didn't object, complaining that it was already installed, so perhaps it didn't install correctly the first time.

RevitCat said...

I am curious as to why you would want to give Autodesk Application Manager another chance. I consider it to be nothing but trouble - as seems to be the oppinion of most people out there who post on forums about it. For example, on v2015, I have encountered situations where AAM prompted a user on service pack 3 to install an update release 4 (or 5) - so they did. That forever prevented them installing 2015R2 (without a full reinstall). As a BIM manager I would never want my users to download and install any Autodesk software. The whole R2 upgrade path is a nightmare (as you have so eloquently described), without assing AAM to the mix
I have tried to uninstall AAM but it consistently stuffed up my windows profile. So now I just disable it at startup.

Steve said...

Tim, I think AAM should help a small firm that doesn't have full time dedicated support for IT matters. Some statistics suggests (in North America anyway) that there are far more small firms than larger firms who have full time staff for such things.